Sunday, January 6, 2008

home is where your ass is

It's 3am, and for those of you who were worried, we're home, back in Krooklyn. Maya is fast asleep, I'm wide awake and jetlagged as fuck. Not sure if I'm still on New Zealand time or Japan time or, more likely, Martian time. Either way, it definitely feels strange to be back after 4 months of backpacking, stranger than I had expected. Our neighborhood seems somehow like a skewed version of my memory of it, and our apartment looks slightly alien, like some artist's recreation of our apartment with almost imperceptible alterations that you can't quite put your finger on but that fuck with your subconscious mind. it doesn't help that are also some unmistakenable alterations as well, care of Maya's niece Anna and her boyfriend, who were housesitting/subletting the place while we were away. For instance, both the DVD player and VCR were mysteriously unplugged from the TV, and the ethernet cable unplugged from our cable modem with the telephone line plugged in where it should have been... There's a cigarette burn in our couch, and when we first came in, no sheets on the bed... Where are we?

The trip back to this final and right now seemingly most foreign of destinations was epic and exhausting - 3 flights spread over 3 days. I'll post about all that shit, most notably our day and half in Tokyo, soon, hopefully tomorrow if the mind clears. Right now I need to try to find sleep.

4 comments:

rebecca said...

thank god your home. i have never looked forward to seeing someone so much in my whole life!!! can't wait to hear more stories. glad you are safe n' sound. rest up.

Anonymous said...

Hey folks. Its been fun reading your blog over the last few months. Cheers for the laughs.

queen3220 said...

Welcome home. I got home from Bangkok on the 5th and am still jetlagged as fuck. when you're back to normal we should get beers. i spent my xmas with some ladyboys.

Unknown said...

Welcome home! Well, over there in NYC anyway. Big wave from the west coast here. I like to visit my old roommate who lives in NYC, so next time I go I'll get in touch.